Confidence – it’s more than how to feel pretty.
For some of us, this word seems second nature, and is a natural part of our every day lives. For others, it is much harder to achieve and can be a real road block on the journey to happiness. Throughout our lives we are always told to “stand with confidence”, “speak with confidence”, “dress with confidence”, even “walk with confidence.” No wonder we are always wondering how to feel pretty. But what does that even mean? This word “confidence” seems to be most people’s answer to any and every problem. Whether you just got broken up with, wore the completely wrong outfit to a party, or had a terrible day at work, your best friend has probably told you to be confident in yourself and not worry about temporary troubles. That’s great advice and all, but how do we actually become confident when we’re stuck feeling sorry for ourselves; and what is the real importance of confidence? It is a lot easier said than done to be a confident woman in a world that constantly tells us we aren’t worthy. Confidence is much more than how to feel pretty or how to make yourself prettier. Because I
think know you are more than that. I know you are worthy…I know you deserve happiness…and I know I can help you achieve confidence.
- FOCUS ON YOUR STRENGTHS: I mean, take a hard look in the mirror, smile and say “I am confident.” Don’t focus on that pimple (sprouting right b/w your eyes), or the sun damage from that trip to Mexico. (you’ll never forget your sunscreen again.) Look at your 2 eyes, your mouth, your face that God created IN HIS IMAGE. I am definitely guilty of comparing myself. How could you not be when it is so easy to pick up a magazine in line at the grocery store and see what the most fabulous celebrities are wearing, where they are vacationing and who they are dating. Why is confidence important? Because this world has us so focused on watching the happiness of others, that sometimes we forget to observe it in our own daily lives. But it’s more than how to feel pretty. You see, true confidence comes from knowing that difference is a good thing, and that no one is on exactly the same path that you are. After all, God has designed a unique and totally individual experience for you, so you might as well enjoy it! Quit focusing on the negativity associated with comparison and start seeing the beauty in difference. Then you will no longer wonder how to make yourself feel pretty. The feeling will already be there.
- TAKE CARE OF YOUR BODY. Another way to tap into your confidence (it’s in there, I promise), is to start being healthy in all ways by doing what I call self love exercises. Begin by allowing yourself to get a good nights sleep – that’s right…the most basic advice that everyone always seems to give on how to look good is actually much more beneficial in gaining longevity in life, lessening stress, anxiety, and combatting aging. Sure, it will cause some dark circles for a day, but the effects of poor sleep harm you much more than you think. Make it a priority to set an alarm labeled “GO TO BED”. Sounds counterintuitive, right? No! We need the reminder to turn off the TV, turn our phones on silent, pick up a book, and start your bedtime routine. For me, this changed my life. No matter what show I’m immersed in, or hundreds of emails to reply, or even this post to finish (my deadline was last night), stick to this schedule and HONOR your appointment with sleep. Also and just as important – eating wholesome foods CAN be yummy, because trust me – I hate Kale with a passion! If I can find creative ways to get my greens and balanced nutrition throughout the day, you can too. Finally, working out WILL make you stronger, emotionally and physically; therefore – you guessed it: MORE CONFIDENT. Beauty comes in all shapes and sizes, and working out doesn’t always have to be about weight. In fact, I’ve recently gotten into weight training for the first time in my life. I have never felt better and more confident than the last month because it’s a challenge, I feel stronger, AND…icing on the cake – more toned than ever! I’m not breaking up completely with Bar Method or yoga, but just doing a test to see how my body and mood reacts to weights alone. Stay tuned!
- FIND SOME PARTNERS IN CRIME. Look for people who help bring you up and inspire you instead of competing and bringing you down. Seeking an amazing girl squad that you look up to and learn from is like having instant confidence. The old saying is true: “You’re only as good as the company you keep.”, and it is so critical to be around peeps who make you feel like you are on top of the world! I am so lucky to have such an amazing tribe who reminds me all the time how blessed my life is. How could I not be confident with them around?
- TREAT YOURSELF. Sometimes, it is all about treating yo-self. Everyone is different, but we all have that thing that just brightens our day and puts a little swagger in our walk. The skill of self confidence lies in knowing when to turn off the stress and just do something nice for yourself. I love to put on a great outfit and do my makeup in my gorgeous little vanity room (it’s a real dream come true for me). Whether its getting your nails done, having a convo with your mom, reading a good book, giving your kids a squeeze, or petting your pups, be sure to make time for the little things that make you feel important and confident. In the meantime, it may just boost someone else’ confidence as well. 😉
- LIVE WITH CONVICTION. In the dictionary, confidence is associated with words like trust, belief, faith, and conviction, not how to feel pretty. I really like the last of this incredible bunch. Having conviction is such an important part of my life, and I almost always build confidence when I act with conviction. The truth is, this blog is my passion, it gives me purpose, and allows me to promote my beliefs to everyone who tunes in (hey there, if you’re reading, I am thankful for you). I love showing women how to feel beautiful! Above all, conviction can really show you how to gain self respect and also respect others. I try to act with conviction in even the most insignificant instances: like sending a text message to my friends asking about that problem they were having the other day, asking a stranger about their lives to make them feel valued, or showing women how to feel pretty. Even when you do little things in life, you can do them with strong intention and allow them to help others, and in exchange feel very good about yourself.
- GIVE BACK AND FIND A PASSION. This leads me to my next point. Giving back is the best confidence booster, y’all. There is seriously no better way to feel like you are worthy, valuable, and important than when you take time to see someone else’s struggles and help them on their journey. I dare you to really find your convictions, and start serving something other than yourself. If you need a little help on your journey to confidence, I attached some links to charities that help to empower women, which is something I find personally important.
I would love it if you took some time to share your journey to becoming a confident girl in the comments section below, and let me know if any of this related to you! You can share your story on Instagram using #helloconfidence and follow @hellowhitneyxo. I can’t wait to be inspired by all of you, and see how you can help me on my own journey. Of course, if you have any advice, organizations that need help, or questions let me know. I hope I was able to show you more than just how to feel pretty, and you leave this blog feeling a bit more confident and connected because you are beautiful, you are valued, and you are worthy. Much love to you all…